Has your CDA expired? Are you wondering if you should renew or reapply? People call every day with questions such as, "Can I renew my national CDA if it expired?" or "When does my CDA expire?" or "Is it too late to renew my national CDA?"
It can be easy to lose track of dates! Make sure to write down the date you received your CDA and the date it expires. Remember, all CDAs issued after June 2013 must be renewed every three years.
Normally, the CDA Council requires that you complete a new national CDA Credential if you did not renew your expired CDA before its expiration date.
However, on January 1, 2020, the Council launched a Renewal Amnesty Program. This program will end June 30, 2020.*
Keep reading to learn if your expired CDA qualifies for this amnesty program!
What is the CDA Council’s Renewal Amnesty Program and how can I renew my expired CDA?
If your CDA Credential expired on or after January 1, 2010, the CDA Renewal Amnesty Program allows you to renew your CDA by waiving the renewal deadline. This allows you to complete the renewal requirements and apply online for renewal, even if you did not submit your renewal application before your credential expired. To be eligible for the Renewal Amnesty Program you must meet all the current renewal requirements.
If you plan to renew your CDA under the Renewal Amnesty Program, you must:
- Complete 45 hours of continuing education training in the setting of your original CDA Credential
- Training must have been completed after the issue date of your most current credential.
- Training taken prior to 2015 for the Renewal Amnesty will not be accepted.
- Choose an Early Childhood Education (ECE) Reviewer to complete your recommendation and verification of 80 hours of work experience in the setting of your original CDA Credential.
- Achieve First Aid and Infant/Child (Pediatric) CPR Certification.
- Join or renew your membership in a national or local early childhood professional organization
Anyone who wishes to take advantage of the opportunity to renew under the CDA Council’s Renewal Amnesty Program must have their application materials and payment submitted online by June 30, 2020 with no exceptions or extensions.
If you have already submitted an application to the CDA Council for a new CDA credential because your original CDA credential expired, you must proceed with that initial application process. The Renewal Amnesty Program began on January 1, 2020 and cannot be applied retroactively.
Please let us know how we can assist you further with the CDA process! Call us: 1-800-685-7610, Monday through Friday, 9-5 ET, or email us days, evenings and weekends: info@CareCourses.com. We’re here to help!
*This is a new deadline based on an extension announced by the CDA Council on 3/17/2020