Do you want to become a child care center director in Oklahoma? If you aren’t sure how to begin, Care Courses can help you understand the process and provide you with the training you need to obtain the Bronze level Oklahoma Director’s Credential. Bronze is the entry-level director’s credential in Oklahoma.
To work as an Oklahoma child care director, you must be at least 21 years old and obtain your Bronze or higher level OK Director’s Credential. The requirements for the Bronze level credential include the following four components:
1. General Education — You must have a high school diploma or GED.
2. Experience — You must have at least 12 months of experience working at least 30 hours a week as a teacher, master teacher, family child care home primary caregiver, assistant director, or director in a licensed child care setting.
3. Early Childhood Education (ECE) Child Development (CD) School Age (SA) Knowledge and Skills — You can meet the ECE, CD, and SA Knowledge and Skills requirement by earning one of the following:
- 6 ECE/CD/SA credit hours from the Center for Early Childhood Professional Development (CECPD) approved coursework list at www.cecpd.org; or
- the Oklahoma Competency Certificate in ECE from the Oklahoma Department of Career Technology; or
- a national CDA or CCP professional credential.
This is one of the ways Care Courses can help you obtain the Bronze level Oklahoma Director’s Credential. You can use Care Courses to obtain a national CDA. We’ve written a blog about how to earn your CDA! You can also learn more about CDA process by taking the free tutorial on our website.
4. Administration (admin) Management (mgt) Knowledge and Skills — You can meet the Administration and Management Knowledge and Skills requirement by earning one of the following:
- an approved admin/mgt credential such as the National Administrator Credential (NAC); or
- 3 admin/mgt credit hours from the approved coursework list at www.cecpd.org; or
- 30 admin/mgt hours of training approved through the Oklahoma Professional Development Registry.
Care Courses offers an Oklahoma Child Care Director’s Credential Administration and Management Knowledge Skills training program approved by the Oklahoma Registry to meet this requirement. Our self-instruction bundle is available in a book or an online learning format. This program grants 44 hours of training and covers Staff Management & Human Relations, Program Operations & Facilities Management, and Educational Programming & Family Support.
The application fee for the Director’s Credential is $25. You can apply online or download a paper application on the CECPD website. To maintain the Bronze level director’s credential, you need 20 hours of job related training each year. You may use Care Courses to earn those 20 hours of job related training.
If you are looking to obtain the higher-level Copper, Silver, Gold, or Platinum Director’s Credential, refer to Appendix EE. (Page 113) in the OK DHS Child Care Services Licensing Requirements for Child Care Programs (Effective 11/1/16).
Note: Information regarding Oklahoma Licensing Requirements sourced from the OK DHS Child Care Services Licensing Requirements for Child Care Programs (Effective 11/1/16).
Questions about Care Courses or how you can obtain the Bronze level Oklahoma Director’s Credential? Please call our office at 1-800-685-7610. We are open Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET. You can also reach us via email at info@CareCourses.com. We are here to help!