How to Get 30 Hours in New York Training Topics

Posted by Care Courses

Apr 25, 2014 9:01:00 AM


As a New York child care provider, you have a lot on your plate. At the end of the day, the last thing you want is to worry about what NY child care training you need.

At Care Courses, we understand that in New York State, child care providers must meet the OCFS training requirement of 30 hours every two years in 9 training topics.

When it comes time to begin training, where do you start?

There are a couple things you can do that we can help you with and it all depends on whether or not you’ve already started your training.

So, have you started your training?

A) “No, I need all thirty hours! How do I get started?”

This one’s easy. If you are in need of your full 30 hours in the nine training topics, we have put together course bundles that take the guesswork out of finding training.

By “bundle,” we mean a compilation of Care Courses that offer all the training hours you need. In addition to providing the hours you need, the courses in each bundle cover all nine New York training topics. When you successfully complete the courses, the training topics appear on your certificates.

B) “I started my training before I found Care Courses. Can you still help me even though I don’t need the full 30 hours?”

Even if you don’t need all 30 hours, we can still help you. There are a couple ways that you can find the training that you need.

On our website, we have a whole page dedicated to the New York training topics. On that page, there is a link to a printable chart that lists all of our courses along with which of the topics each course covers.

Click Here to Find Out About Care Courses Child Care Training in New York

The list and the chart are there to help you choose what training you need to fulfill the New York OCFS requirement. However, if you’re having problems navigating the website or if you still feel unsure, we always recommend that you call us before making a purchase.

We also want you to know that our courses are eligible for funding through the SUNY Educational Incentive Program (EIP) award, if you qualify for one. Call 1-800-295-9616 for information about how to obtain an EIP award. You can also apply online for your EIP on SUNY's website.

We've also written an additional blog specifically for students who wish to use their SUNY EIP awards to pay for their New York child care training with care courses.  

Please let us know how we can be of additional assistance! Call us: 1-800-685-7610, Monday through Friday, 9-5 ET, or email us days, evenings and weekends: We’re here to help!


Read More

Topics: Training For My State

Where can I get the best Texas childcare training?

Posted by Care Courses

Apr 1, 2014 9:26:00 AM


We’re proud to call thousands of childcare providers in the Lone Star State our students here at Care Courses. We first started our training program in Austin, and we still design courses specifically for Texas requirements! So whether you’re already using our courses for your training needs or a newcomer to us, take a minute to see everything Care Courses has to offer early childhood educators in your state!

For Childcare Providers

Use Care Courses toward both your annual training and other Texas requirements.

When it comes to annual training, keep in mind that you can use Care Courses for some, but not all of the annual hours you need!

  • If you work in a day care center, Care Courses can only be used for up to 50% of your annual training.
  • If you work in a family day care home, the limit is 80% instead.

Now, here are a few Texas requirements you can meet using Care Courses.

  • SIDs, Shaken Baby and Early Brain Development requirements can be taken care of by our 2-hour course Infant Safety.
  • Our courseTransportation Safety can be used for the transportation safety requirement for all providers who transport children under the age of 9.
  • Recognizing and Reporting Child Abuse can be used for the 1-clock-hour requirement in child abuse.

For folks who are just coming into the early education field, Care Courses can be used for the 24-hour Texas Pre-service training requirement. We offer a 3-course training bundle to cover this preservice requirement. One of the courses, Great Beginnings, needs to be completed before you can begin working. The other two courses in the bundle, Imagination at Play and Principles of Child Development and Learning, can be finished within the first 90 days of work.

Use Care Courses to obtain a CDA or renew a CDA! Care Courses CDA training is available for all four CDA settings:

  • Family Child Care (also available en Español)
  • Infant and Toddler Center-Based (also available en Español)
  • Preschool Center-Based (also available en Español)
  • Home Visitor

Use our training for Texas annual requirements and for obtaining or renewing a CDA as well - just make sure that you call in and speak to our staff about how to use you Texas trainings towards your CDA requirements.

For Center Directors

Students who will be a director of a center with 13 or more children can use Care Courses to obtain a childcare center director’s certificate. As long as you have at least three years of experience in a licensed child care center, Care Courses will take care of your training requirement. Just choose one of our training bundles, which cover 150 hours of child development training and 150 hours of management training. When successfully complete this training, you’ll receive your Director’s Certificate from your licensing agency.

For Teachers of School-Age Children

Care Courses can also be used for Continuing Professional Education for the Texas Education Agency. This means that if you’re a classroom teacher, you can use this towards the 150 hours that you need for renewal or the 200 hours of renewal needed for educators who hold a professional certificate. The courses you choose need to be relevant to your field, so if you work with children with high activity levels, Active or Hyperactive? is a great choice!

For Early Childhood Professional Professionals Who Speak Spanish

Some of our courses are also available in Spanish! Visit our Spanish language site for a listing of these courses and more information about how to use them completamente en Español!


So as you can see, Care Courses doesn’t mess around when it comes to Texas.

Please let us know how we can be of additional assistance! Call us: 1-800-685-7610, Monday through Friday, 9-5 ET, or email us days, evenings and weekends: We’re here to help!

Read More

Topics: Training For My State

How can I get Washington STARS training?

Posted by Care Courses

Mar 26, 2014 3:51:00 PM


If you’re a caregiver in Washington state, you probably already know about the State Training and Registry System (STARS) – but did you know that you can do your training online or through the mail, and at your own pace through Care Courses? All of our distance-learning courses are approved for STARS training, and they’re designed for self-instruction, so you can work them in to your busy schedule while you’re looking after your little ones and be confident that you’re not only learning more, but also advancing your career!

For some childcare providers, taking courses at a local university or community college might be a good option, but for many, college classes are too far away, too expensive, or too hard to fit into your schedule. That’s where distance learning comes in! Care Courses offers training in two formats: CourseBook and Online Course (follow the links to learn more about how each format works).

Continuing education like the training you can take with Care Courses can help you move up the professional ladder. The state of Washington requires STARS training for higher-level positions like lead teacher, program supervisor, and center director, so whether you want to run your own classroom or your own center, keeping up your professional development will help you get to where you want to be. It can also help your center move up the scale on the Early Achievers quality rating and improvement system (QRIS), which is designed to help centers provide high-quality care and give parents information about where to get the best care for their children.

You can also use Care Courses to meet the training requirement for the CDA, a nationally recognized credential considered by many to be the “best first step” toward advancing your career in early childhood. And if your center participates in Early Achievers, you could be eligible for scholarships funds to pay for your CDA!

So, whether you’re in a bigger city like Seattle or Vancouver, or a smaller town like Colville, Tieton, or Walla Walla, we’ve got a solution for your training and professional development needs in Washington!

Please let us know how we can be of additional assistance! Call us: 1-800-685-7610, Monday through Friday, 9-5 ET, or email us days, evenings and weekends: We’re here to help!

Read More

Topics: Training For My State

How can I get childcare training in Massachusetts?

Posted by Care Courses

Mar 18, 2014 5:45:00 PM

Greetings, Massachusetts childcare providers! I want to talk to you a little bit about how Care Courses can help you with your professional development needs.


You may already be aware that we are your one-stop-shop for satisfying the annual training requirements for those of you working as directors and staff members in child care centers and homes. If Care Courses were a baseball team, we’d be the Red Sox circa 2004 – takin’ care of business and winning World Series Championships!

Yep, it’s true. You can fulfill some or all of your Professional Development training requirement with Care Courses through the mail or online! TheMassachusetts Department of Early Education and Care (MA DEEC) accepts Care Courses for your training need. We even have a wicked awesome Massachusetts Core Competencies Chart that will break down how our courses fulfill those Core Competencies.

Interested in getting your CDA in Massachusetts? Check out our new CDA-101 Tutorial that explains all the ins and outs of the CDA process. And yes! You can use Care Courses to both get and renew your CDA.

But wait, there’s more! For those of you needing to satisfy your Diverse Learner Requirement, Care Courses has you covered. The MA DEEC defines diverse learners as “children who have special physical, emotional, behavioral, cognitive or linguistic needs or whose primary learning modality is visual, auditory, tactile or kinesthetic, who may require an adaptation in the environment, interaction or curriculum in order to succeed in their program."

The MA DEEC has determined that one-third of Massachusetts caregivers’ professional development needs to address diverse learners. Lucky for you, these eight Care Courses can help you better understand the diverse learners in your care:

These eight Care Courses are full of information, tips, and strategies for diverse learners with physical disabilities, Autism Spectrum Disorder, Attention Deficit Disorder, hyperactivity, and more. You’ll love that these courses cater to a range of age groups, grant a variety of clock hours, and help you implement best practices to help you create a welcoming environment for all the children in your care. For more information about this training, visit our Diverse Learner Training page.

The best part about using Care Courses for any of your professional development? As a distance-learning school, our courses are conveniently weather-proof! Because you’re free to learn the course material anywhere at any time, you can work your training around your personal schedule; no need to hassle with getting to and from a classroom (definitely a good thing when you’re snowed in by that brutal Nor’easter)!

So what are you waiting for? Call us at 1-800-685-7610 and talk to one of our student support specialists to learn more about your training requirements and how Care Courses can help. We’re open Monday through Friday, 9-5 Eastern Time.

Need assistance after office hours? Email us at for assistance days, evenings and weekends.

Read More

Topics: Training For My State

Are Care Courses accepted for in-service professional development training?

Posted by Care Courses

Feb 25, 2014 2:50:00 PM


You may be wondering if Care Courses are accepted for your state training? That depends on the state where you work! Each state has different rules and regulations concerning childcare training, so it’s a good idea to do a little research before you start your training.

There are two ways we can help you find out if you can use Care Courses for your state training:

  1. On our website
  2. Over the phone or by email

On Our Website

At we have a webpage for each US state (as well as Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, the District of Columbia, and all Canadian provinces) that provides more information about how Care Courses fit with training requirements. Click here to view our US pages.

From our main map page, click on either the name of your state or its picture on the map. Look for the heading “State Childcare Training Requirements” and read that section to learn more.

You can also find your state licensing agency’s contact information at the bottom of these pages. Your licensing agency can give you more information about your state’s training requirements.

Follow the same process above for Canada’s information. Click this page to view Canadian provinces.

Over the Phone or by Email

Call us at 1-800-685-7610 and talk to one of our student support specialists to learn more about your state’s requirements and how Care Courses can help. We’re open Monday through Friday, 9-5 Eastern Time, and we’re always happy to help!

Need assistance after office hours? Email us at for assistance days, evenings and weekends.

Read More

Topics: Training For My State, Care Courses Questions

About Care Courses

Care Courses has been providing distance learning courses for early childhood professionals since 1990. Our courses are delivered to you either via US Mail or on your computer, and can be used for the CDA and many state training requirements. We offer over 60 excellent, convenient courses in a wide variety of interesting, helpful topics, and our courses have no time limits. Do them wherever and whenever you wish. Visit our website to access our course listings.

Recent Posts

Click here to Subscribe!