Looking for a fun wintertime craft to do with the children in your care? Try this popsicle stick snowflake done by one of our training coaches when she was in preschool!
You will need:
Four popsicle sticks for each child in your care
White, blue, or grey paint
Glue (both a liquid and a clear glue stick)
Days before (or the night before) you plan to make the snowflakes, paint the front of the popsicle sticks whichever snowflake color you chose. If you have children in your care who are old enough to handle the painting task, then you can save this step for the day you make the snowflakes.
What to do:
1. Distribute popsicle sticks to the children.
2. Instruct each child to put a dot of glue in the center of one popsicle stick, and place another on top in a criss-cross shape (like an “x”). Have them hold it there for 15 seconds – keep in mind they’re the “One-Alligator-Two-Alligator-Three-Alligator” seconds.
3. Next, instruct the child to put a dot of glue on the center of the top popsicle stick. Then, have them place their next popsicle stick in a horizontal line down the center (like this “l”). Have them hold the stick in place for another 15 seconds.
4. Next, have the child place another glue dot in the center of the top popsicle stick. The last popsicle stick will go across lengthwise (“—“). Have them hold it all together for another 15 seconds.
5. Once everything is glued, have the children brush the visible sticks with the clear glue stick and while the glue is still wet, sprinkle the snowflakes with the glitter.
6. Allow them to dry completely and write each child’s name and the year on the back of each snowflake.
Please let us know how we can be of additional assistance! Call us: 1-800-685-7610, Monday through Friday, 9-5 ET, or email us days, evenings and weekends: info@CareCourses.com. We’re here to help!