How to Store and Handle Breast Milk at an Early Childhood Program

When fam­i­lies have a baby, they must make the impor­tant deci­sion of whether to feed their child with for­mu­la or by breast­feed­ing. Design­ing your child care pro­gram to accom­mo­date the feed­ing prac­tices of each fam­i­ly cul­ti­vates a sup­port­ive, car­ing envi­ron­ment. Read this week’s blog to learn how to store and han­dle breast milk at an ear­ly child­hood program! 

Supporting families

You can sup­port moth­ers who are breast­feed­ing by know­ing how to safe­ly store and han­dle breast milk. Breast milk is clas­si­fied as a food, so you can store it with oth­er foods in the same refrig­er­a­tor or freez­er. The same rules for food han­dling apply. Always be sure to wash your hands before han­dling expressed milk.

It is safe to store breast milk …

  • at room tem­per­a­ture (no more than 77° F) for up to 4 hours,
  • in the fridge (at 40° F) for up to 4 days,
  • in the freez­er for 6 months (although it is typ­i­cal­ly still good for up to one year).

After you thaw frozen milk, you can keep it at room tem­per­a­ture for 1–2 hours or in the fridge for up to a day. Do not refreeze breast milk after thaw­ing it.

Store expressed breast milk at the back of the freez­er or fridge where the tem­per­a­ture is more con­sis­tent. Do not store breast milk in the freezer/fridge door. Stor­ing breast milk in the door makes it more vul­ner­a­ble to tem­per­a­ture changes.

Breast Milk Prep Instructions for Families

A breast­feed­ing-friend­ly pro­gram has infor­ma­tion on breast­feed­ing read­i­ly avail­able. Have posters, pam­phlets, hand­outs, and infor­ma­tion pack­ets on breast­feed­ing. Most impor­tant­ly com­mu­ni­cate with fam­i­lies how they should pre­pare breast milk so that your pro­gram will have a good sup­ply of breast milk ready at your facility.

For frozen milk, use spe­cial breast milk stor­age bags, clean glass, or plas­tic con­tain­ers. Make sure not to use plas­tic bags that aren’t specif­i­cal­ly intend­ed for breast milk. Any con­tain­er with the recy­cle sym­bol num­ber 7 risks con­t­a­m­i­nat­ing the breast milk with bisphe­nol A (BPA), an indus­tri­al chem­i­cal. Using a clean glass con­tain­er ensures that no plas­tic chem­i­cals con­t­a­m­i­nate the breast milk. 

It’s best for fam­i­lies to freeze milk in 1–4 ounce quan­ti­ties so that care­givers can meet children’s needs while min­i­miz­ing waste. Ask fam­i­lies to label their milk with their baby’s full name and the date and time col­lect­ed. You’ll want to use the old­est milk first pro­vid­ed that it hasn’t expired yet.

Some pro­grams orga­nize their breast milk with col­ored tape. Each baby is assigned a col­or so that each baby gets the right milk. 

Thawing and Heating Breast Milk

Breast milk can be served cold, at room tem­per­a­ture, or warmed. Ask fam­i­lies what tem­per­a­ture they’d pre­fer for their child.

There are dif­fer­ent ways to thaw frozen milk:

  • Let it thaw in the fridge overnight.
  • Put a sealed con­tain­er of frozen milk in a con­tain­er of warm or luke­warm (nev­er hot) water for a cou­ple of min­utes. If you don’t have a bot­tle warmer, this is a great method to warm up milk.
  • Hold a sealed con­tain­er of frozen milk under luke­warm (nev­er hot) run­ning tap water for a few min­utes. This method also warms the milk.

You don’t want to expose the milk to too much heat as this can destroy impor­tant nutri­ents in the milk. For this rea­son, do not microwave breast milk or warm it direct­ly on the stove or in a crock­pot of water. Microwav­ing can also cre­ate hot spots in the milk that burn the baby’s mouth.

The tem­per­a­ture should not exceed 98.6° F. Test the tem­per­a­ture by drip­ping a small amount on the inside of your wrist to see if it’s warm enough but not too hot. Once breast milk has been warmed, serve it with­in 1–2 hours.

Breast milk is not homog­e­nized, so do not wor­ry if it sep­a­rates into lay­ers with the fat ris­ing to the top or sports a bluish col­or. Frozen milk also often has dif­fer­ent col­or or den­si­ty vari­a­tions because of this sep­a­ra­tion. Gen­tly shake the milk to mix these com­po­nents. If shak­ing pro­duces air bub­bles, give the milk a few min­utes to sit before serv­ing. Air bub­bles can cause babies to have gas.

Dis­card any uncon­sumed milk after feed­ing and nev­er mix the left­overs with fresh breast milk.

Would you like more help­ful infor­ma­tion on mak­ing your pro­gram breast­feed­ing-friend­ly? Take our Sup­port­ing Breast­feed­ing in Child Care course to become an expert. Have any ques­tions about how to store and han­dle breast milk at an ear­ly child­hood pro­gram? Let us know in the comments!

Look­ing for more inter­est­ing blogs on child care top­ics? Read our blog on the top five mis­con­cep­tions about sun safe place in child care!

Care Courses Support

Please let us know how we can be of any addi­tion­al assis­tance! Call us: 1–800-685‑7610, Mon­day through Fri­day, 9–5 ET, or email us days, evenings, and week­ends: We’re here to help!

Can I Use Care Courses To Get My Florida Staff Credential?

Inter­est­ed in obtain­ing your Flori­da Staff Cre­den­tial? Care Cours­es can be used towards the 120 clock hours of train­ing you need to get your CDA cre­den­tial, issued by the Coun­cil for Pro­fes­sion­al Recog­ni­tion. Once you obtain your CDA from the CDA coun­cil, you will meet the require­ments need­ed to obtain your Flori­da Staff Credential.

How to Earn a Florida Staff Credential

There are sev­er­al ways to earn a Flori­da Staff Cre­den­tial. One is to have a “Nation­al Ear­ly Child­hood Cre­den­tial.” The Flori­da Depart­ment of Chil­dren and Fam­i­lies defines a Nation­al Ear­ly Child­hood Cre­den­tial as: “Nation­al Child Devel­op­ment Asso­ciate (CDA) or oth­er ear­ly child­hood cre­den­tial that meets or exceeds the require­ments of the Nation­al CDA and is rec­og­nized by reg­u­la­to­ry agen­cies in at least five states.” 

The Nation­al CDA Cre­den­tial is one of the most wide­ly rec­og­nized ear­ly child­hood cre­den­tials in the coun­try. It must be renewed every three years. (You can also use Care Cours­es to con­ve­nient­ly renew your CDA Cre­den­tial and Flori­da Staff Credential.) 

If you already have a col­lege degree in ear­ly child­hood or a relat­ed field or have the FCCPC or oth­er ear­ly child­hood cre­den­tial, we rec­om­mend review­ing the Flori­da Staff Cre­den­tial Resource Page to learn how your edu­ca­tion can be used to get your Flori­da Staff Cre­den­tial. Once you have met the edu­ca­tion require­ments of the Flori­da Staff Cre­den­tial, it is time to sub­mit your appli­ca­tion. The appli­ca­tion can be down­loaded from the same website.

How do I renew my Florida Staff Credential? 

Care Cours­es are accept­ed for the 4.5 CEUs (45 clock hours) need­ed for renew­al of Flori­da Staff Cre­den­tials. This includes the renew­al of the Child Devel­op­ment Asso­ciate Cre­den­tial (CDA), the Flori­da Birth through Five Child Care Cre­den­tial, the Flori­da School Age Child Care Cre­den­tial, and the Flori­da Director’s Cre­den­tial. Care Cours­es is an IACET accred­it­ed CEU Provider and all of our cours­es offer IACET CEUs. Learn more about how Care Cours­es’ IACET accred­it­ed cours­es are accept­ed for DCF training. 

If you obtained your Flori­da Staff Cre­den­tial by get­ting your Nation­al CDA, you may use our train­ing to renew your CDA and Staff Cre­den­tial! Use Care Cours­es’ dis­count­ed CDA renew­al sets to renew. Your Nation­al CDA must be renewed every three years to renew your staff credential. 

What about the FCCPC?

You can use a Flori­da Child Care Pro­fes­sion­al Cre­den­tial (FCCPC), like the Nation­al CDA, to obtain your Flori­da Staff Cre­den­tial. The Nation­al CDA and FCCPC have very sim­i­lar require­ments as well. For both the Nation­al CDA and FCCPC, you must obtain 120 hours of train­ing and 480 hours of work expe­ri­ence. You must also com­plete a pro­fes­sion­al port­fo­lio, and an obser­va­tion vis­it (among oth­er require­ments). Both require 45 clock hours of train­ing to renew. The Nation­al CDA must be renewed every 3 years and an FCCPC must be renewed every 5 years. Please note that Care Cours­es are not accept­ed towards obtain­ing the FCCPC; how­ev­er, Care Cours­es may be used to renew a Flori­da Staff Cre­den­tial obtained using an FCCPC. 

Benefits of a National CDA

One ben­e­fit of the Nation­al CDA is that it is already accept­ed toward child care require­ments around the coun­try. There­fore, you can apply it toward oth­er state require­ments in the event that you move and want to work in child care in anoth­er state. Read our blog about what the Nation­al CDA can do for you in oth­er states!

Do you have more ques­tions? Check out our Flori­da child care train­ing page to learn how our cours­es can be used in Flori­da. Give us a call and our CDA experts will be hap­py to dis­cuss how you can obtain your CDA.

Care Courses Support

Please let us know how we can be of addi­tion­al assis­tance! Call us: 1–800-685‑7610, Mon­day through Fri­day, 9–5 ET, or email us days, evenings and week­ends: We’re here to help!

What is My CDA Exam and Verification Visit Deadline?

Won­der­ing how much time you have to com­plete your CDA exam and Ver­i­fi­ca­tion Vis­it? Try­ing to find the your CDA exam and ver­i­fi­ca­tion vis­it dead­line? You have come to the right place! 

Ready to Schedule Notice

The CDA Coun­cil for Pro­fes­sion­al Recog­ni­tion gives appli­cants a spec­i­fied time-win­dow in which you must com­plete your CDA exam and Ver­i­fi­ca­tion Vis­it. Once you have applied for your Nation­al CDA and received the “Ready to Sched­ule” notice from the CDA coun­cil, you have six months to take your CDA Exam and com­plete your Ver­i­fi­ca­tion Vis­it with the pro­fes­sion­al devel­op­ment spe­cial­ist. The end of this six month peri­od is your CDA exam and ver­i­fi­ca­tion vis­it “dead­line.”

There are two ways to schedule your CDA Exam

You can cre­ate a Pear­son VUE web account and sched­ule online. Or you can sched­ule by phone by call­ing 1–866-507‑5627. Sched­ule the CDA Exam any­time between 7:00 am and 7:00 pm Cen­tral Stan­dard Time (CST), Mon­day through Fri­day. Give your­self ample time to sched­ule the exam. COVID-19 Social dis­tanc­ing require­ments, lim­it­ed staff, and local gov­ern­ment guid­ance have lim­it­ed the avail­abil­i­ty of many test cen­ters. Because of this some test cen­ters in the Unit­ed States have extend­ed their hours to almost 24 hours a day.

After you’ve received your “Ready to Sched­ule” notice from the CDA coun­cil, con­tact your Pro­fes­sion­al Devel­op­ment Spe­cial­ist to sched­ule a time for your Ver­i­fi­ca­tion Visit. 

If you are work­ing at a cen­ter, make sure your Direc­tor grants you per­mis­sion to sched­ule your Ver­i­fi­ca­tion Vis­it since it usu­al­ly takes four hours. 

Have you not start­ed your CDA yet? Or are you look­ing for more infor­ma­tion? Check our the steps to com­plet­ing your Nation­al CDA here. Curi­ous what you can do with your CDA? Check out our blog on the subject!

Care Cours­es Support

Please let us know how we can be of addi­tion­al assis­tance! Call us: 1–800-685‑7610, Mon­day through Fri­day, 9–5 ET, or email us days, evenings and week­ends: We’re here to help!

Can I Use My High School Diploma From Another Country For My National CDA?

One of the require­ments to apply for your Nation­al CDA is to have a high school diplo­ma or equiv­a­lent. One ques­tion we often get at Care Cours­es is, can I use my high school diplo­ma from anoth­er coun­try when I apply for my CDA? 

… Yes!

The Coun­cil for Pro­fes­sion­al Recog­ni­tion accepts high school diplo­mas from any coun­try for the Nation­al CDA. 

In fact, no doc­u­men­ta­tion of a high school diplo­ma is required to be sub­mit­ted to the Coun­cil. On the appli­ca­tion for the Child Devel­op­ment Asso­ciate (CDA), there is sim­ply a place where con­firm that you …

  • have a high school diplo­ma (com­plet­ed in or out­side the U.S.), or
  • passed the GED, or
  • are cur­rent­ly a high school junior or senior enrolled in an ear­ly education/child care devel­op­ment Career and Tech­ni­cal Program.

You might also be wondering if you are eligible for the CDA if you have other qualifications that you completed outside of the US

For exam­ple, what if you have some expe­ri­ence work­ing with young chil­dren out­side the U.S. or a U.S. mil­i­tary base? Could this make up part of the 480 hours of expe­ri­ence with young chil­dren that is required with­in 3 years before applying? 

No …

Expe­ri­ence out­side the U.S. does not count toward a CDA.

If you are apply­ing for a CDA with­in the U.S., the Coun­cil only accepts expe­ri­ence acquired in licensed pro­grams with­in the U.S. or on U.S. mil­i­tary bases abroad, or in pro­grams with­in the U.S. that are legal­ly exempt from licensing. 

Many states exempt spe­cif­ic kinds of child care providers from licens­ing, such as pro­grams run by reli­gious orga­ni­za­tions, school-age pro­grams run by pub­lic schools, and sum­mer camps (check with your state’s licens­ing agency to deter­mine what pro­grams are exempt). Expe­ri­ence gained from this type of exempt pro­gram typ­i­cal­ly will count toward a CDA.

Inter­est­ed in start­ing your CDA? Take our free CDA 101 tuto­r­i­al to learn the CDA process! Then read up on your CDA set­ting. On the fence about get­ting your CDA? Check out these top 5 rea­sons you should get your CDA.

The Coun­cil does have part­ner­ships with some inter­na­tion­al ear­ly edu­ca­tion orga­ni­za­tions and gov­ern­ment agen­cies. Only Can­di­dates apply­ing with these inter­na­tion­al part­ners can obtain expe­ri­ence hours out­side of the US. Please check with the CDA coun­cil or one of these orga­ni­za­tions before apply­ing for your Nation­al CDA out­side of the Unit­ed States.

Care Courses Support

Please let us know how we can be of any addi­tion­al assis­tance! Call us: 1–800-685‑7610, Mon­day through Fri­day, 9–5 ET, or email us days, evenings, and week­ends: We’re here to help!

How old do you need to be to take Care Courses?

There is no age lim­it when it comes to tak­ing Care Cours­es! The only pre-req­ui­site for our cours­es is that you can read and write flu­ent­ly in English.

Child Care Licensing Requirements

How­ev­er, if you plan to use Care Cours­es to become a qual­i­fied care­giv­er or vol­un­teer, first check the reg­u­la­tions for your state’s age lim­it to legal­ly take care of chil­dren. Vis­it your state page to find out your state’s child care licens­ing con­tact infor­ma­tion. Con­tact licens­ing to learn how old you must be to work in child­care in your state! 

The CDA Credential

If you wish to use Care Cours­es to apply for the Nation­al CDA cre­den­tial, you must be at least 18 years of age and hold a high school diplo­ma or GED.

Inter­est­ed in learn­ing how to get your CDA cre­den­tial? We hear this ques­tion a lot here at Care Cours­es! Check out our blog on what you can do with a CDA. The CDA Coun­cil for pro­fes­sion­al recog­ni­tion requires appli­cants to be at least 18 years of age and hold a high school diplo­ma or equiv­a­lent, like a GED.

Curi­ous which CDA set­ting is for you? We have a blog on that, too: How do I choose my CDA Setting?

Want to learn more about child care?

Want to learn more about child care but don’t know where to start? Check out our free course, Play­ing Out­doors, to learn how our train­ing works. Then read up on time out to learn why you should nev­er use this dis­ci­pline tech­nique with children. 

Care Courses Support

Please let us know how we can be of any addi­tion­al assis­tance! Call us: 1–800-685‑7610, Mon­day through Fri­day, 9–5 ET, or email us days, evenings, and week­ends: We’re here to help!

Top Five Misconceptions about Sun-Safety

In this blog, we will cov­er the top five mis­con­cep­tions about sun-safety.

As we dis­cuss in our blog about our course, Play­ing Out­doors, spend­ing time out­doors is an impor­tant part of chil­dren’s days. 

And, as we dis­cuss in our course, Sun Safe­ty, the out­doors offers chil­dren many oppor­tu­ni­ties to be cre­ative, social, and phys­i­cal­ly active. Typ­i­cal­ly, chil­dren can be loud­er, more intense­ly active, and engage in more unlim­it­ed explo­ration than they can indoors. 

Out­door games sup­port gross motor skill devel­op­ment, team build­ing, and unlim­it­ed spon­ta­neous dis­cov­ery and learn­ing moments. Addi­tion­al­ly, out­door play give chil­dren many oppor­tu­ni­ties for cre­ative, phys­i­cal, and social activities.

The benefits of sunlight

Sun­light ben­e­fits us phys­i­cal­ly, behav­ioral­ly, and emo­tion­al­ly. How­ev­er, sun­light can also be dan­ger­ous. Over­ex­po­sure to sun­light dam­ages the skin and eyes and can con­tribute to skin cancer. 

Pro­tect­ing chil­dren from the sun’s UV radi­a­tion, and teach­ing them life-long sun-safe habits, will allow them to safe­ly take advan­tage of every­thing the out­doors has to offer. 

Here are the top five misconceptions about sun-safe play

1. You cannot get a sunburn when it is cloudy.

(False!) UV radi­a­tion is present whether or not you can see the sun­shine. Even on cloudy days, it reach­es the Earth­’s sur­face and can cause sunburns.

2. As long as you are wearing sunscreen, there is no need to take any other sun protective measures.

(False!) Sun­screen should not be the only part of your sun pro­tec­tion plan. Even while wear­ing sun­screen, seek shade and wear pro­tec­tive cloth­ing, a hat, and sunglasses. 

Try Australia’s slo­gan to encour­age sun-safe behav­iors: “Slip, Slop, Slap, Seek and Slide.” “Slip on a shirt. Slop on SPF-30 broad-spec­trum sun­screen. Slap on a hat that shades your face, neck and ears, Seek shade, and Slide on sunglasses.” 

3. If you use sunscreen with the highest SPF available you don’t need to reapply it.

(False!) You should apply a broad-spec­trum sun­screen of at least SPF-30. High­er SPFs pro­vide only slight­ly more pro­tec­tion than low­er SPFs, and may mis­lead users into skip­ping reap­pli­ca­tion or stay­ing out­side for long peri­ods of time. 

Apply sun­screen at least 30 min­utes before going in the sun and reap­ply it at least every 2 hours. Addi­tion­al­ly, you should reap­ply sun­screen after get­ting wet or sweat­ing profusely. 

4. Not all children need sun protection. 

(False!) All skin can be dam­aged by over­ex­po­sure to UV radi­a­tion. Skin of all col­ors should be pro­tect­ed from the sun. Infants under six months should not use sun­screen, but instead should be kept out of direct sunlight.

5. It is easy to determine how intense UV radiation is just by looking or going outside.

(False!) It is not pos­si­ble to deter­mine UV radi­a­tion inten­si­ty with­out spe­cial equip­ment. For exam­ple, cloud cov­er and rain can mask the inten­si­ty of the sun. 

Know­ing the UV radi­a­tion expo­sure risk can help you plan when it is safe to spend time out­doors. If you know the risk, then you can plan pro­tec­tion you and the chil­dren should use. 

Use the EPA UV index tool on our web­site to learn the UV Index val­ue for your area.

Want to learn more about sun safety?

Take our course Sun Safe­ty! In this 2 clock-hour Care Course, you will learn key facts about the inten­si­ty of UV radi­a­tion from the sun and the dan­gers and ben­e­fits of sun­light. The course teach­es strate­gies that will help pro­tect your­self and chil­dren from the harm­ful effects of the sun and how to devel­op a suc­cess­ful sun safe­ty pol­i­cy and program.

Look­ing for more inter­est­ing ear­ly child­hood top­ics? Check out our blog on reduc­ing stress for chil­dren in child care. Learn how to use med­i­ta­tion, yoga, and mind­ful­ness to help chil­dren relax and de-stress.

Care Courses Support

Please con­tact us and let us know how we can be of addi­tion­al assis­tance! Call us at 1–800-685‑7610, Mon­day- Fri­day, 9–5 ET, or email us days, evenings and week­ends: We’re here to help!

Reducing Children’s Stress in Child Care

Being a child can be stress­ful. Reduc­ing chil­dren’s stress in child care is important.

Sources of Stress

Learn­ing new things, build­ing inter­per­son­al rela­tion­ships, and nav­i­gat­ing dif­fer­ent home, school, and care envi­ron­ments are exhaust­ing expe­ri­ences for many chil­dren. These expe­ri­ences have been even more tire­some dur­ing the COVID-19 pan­dem­ic, which placed many chil­dren in unpre­dictable situations. 

How­ev­er, unlike adults, chil­dren rarely have a space to take a deep breath, relax, and reflect on the stress­ful cir­cum­stances in their lives. This is where med­i­ta­tion, yoga, and oth­er mind­ful­ness prac­tices can help in reduc­ing chil­dren’s stress!

Meditation, yoga, and mindfulness are excellent ways to help children relax and de-stress. 

Med­i­ta­tion, yoga, and mind­ful­ness also enable chil­dren to build strong cog­ni­tive and social-emo­tion­al skills. Mul­ti­ple stud­ies show that these prac­tices strength­en children’s atten­tive­ness and self-con­trol, while simul­ta­ne­ous­ly con­tribut­ing to improved empa­thy and respect for peers. Med­i­ta­tion has also been linked to a decreased risk of stress, hyper­ac­tiv­i­ty, and depression.

These prac­tices help chil­dren respond to neg­a­tive thoughts, while also improv­ing their self-con­fi­dence, focus, and behav­ior. They also give chil­dren a much-need­ed way to relax and breathe, which can be espe­cial­ly impor­tant in a busy, loud child­care setting.

Many areas of the coun­try have already begun for­mal­ly adopt­ing med­i­ta­tion in schools. In Ohio, the Skills for Life pro­gram teach­es ele­men­tary school stu­dents about the val­ue of deep breath­ing, med­i­ta­tion, and prob­lem-solv­ing skills. The results were astound­ing! After the program’s imple­men­ta­tion, chil­dren felt more in con­trol of their emo­tions; bul­ly­ing rates fell, excit­ing both teach­ers and stu­dents. Sim­i­lar stud­ies else­where in the coun­try report sim­i­lar results; an exper­i­ment in San Fran­cis­co found that intro­duc­ing med­i­ta­tion had sig­nif­i­cant­ly pos­i­tive impacts on stu­dents’ aca­d­e­m­ic per­for­mance. Intro­duc­ing spec­i­fied ‘qui­et times’ into school cur­ric­u­la also had resid­ual ben­e­fits, includ­ing improved grades, decreased sus­pen­sion rates, and enhanced atten­tion spans.

Guid­ing chil­dren through med­i­ta­tion can be easy and fun. One exer­cise, ‘The Bal­loon,’ is espe­cial­ly sim­ple for young chil­dren to under­stand. Try this exer­cise out with tod­dlers, preschool­ers, and school-age chil­dren in your care. 

To prac­tice this exer­cise, invite chil­dren to relax and slow­ly inhale and exhale through the nose for sev­er­al sec­onds as a warmup. Then, ask chil­dren to take a long, deep breath so their stom­achs fill with air, mim­ic­k­ing a bal­loon. Encour­age them to slow­ly let the air out of the ‘bal­loon’ by releas­ing their breath through their noses. Repeat this process sev­er­al times. Chil­dren can even add a hiss­ing noise as they exhale slow­ly, just like a real bal­loon would.

Younger chil­dren will espe­cial­ly ben­e­fit from the bal­loon exer­cise if they can add cre­ative imagery to it. Ask­ing chil­dren to think of the balloon’s col­or, size, and shape as they inhale and exhale adds to the prac­tice, and gives chil­dren anoth­er oppor­tu­ni­ty to relax and reflect in the moment.

Want to learn more about the effects of stress on chil­dren and how to help chil­dren reduce stress in child care? Take our Care Course Ear­ly Child­hood Stress: Seri­ous Stress in Chil­dren’s Lives.

Let us know how the chil­dren respond­ed to this activ­i­ty in the com­ments below! 

Care Courses Support

Please let us know how we can be of addi­tion­al assis­tance! Call us at 1–800-685‑7610, Mon­day- Fri­day, 9–5 ET, or email us days, evenings and week­ends: We’re here to help!

How can I get Idaho STARS training?

Care Cours­es is an approved train­er for the Ida­ho STARS pro­gram, ready to assist you with con­tin­u­ing your pro­fes­sion­al development. 

Are you look­ing for STARS train­ing or annu­al clock hours or a CDA Cre­den­tial in Ida­ho? Then read on!

Idaho Department of Health and Welfare Requirements

The Ida­ho Depart­ment of Health and Wel­fare accepts all of our cours­es for state and city day­care licens­ing require­ments, the Ida­ho Child Care Pro­gram (ICCP), Ida­hoSTARS Steps to Qual­i­ty (STQ), and the Ida­hoSTARS Pro­fes­sion­al Devel­op­ment Sys­tem (PDS).

This includes annu­al ongo­ing train­ing for staff, direct care staff, oper­a­tors, vol­un­teers and fos­ter par­ents in day­care cen­ters, fam­i­ly day­care homes, group day­care facil­i­ties, fos­ter homes and children’s res­i­den­tial care facilities. 

Care Courses is IdahoSTARS Approved 

All Care Cours­es are approved for Ida­ho STARS train­ing hours. For reg­istry cred­it, sub­mit your com­plet­ed Care Cours­es to the Ida­hoSTARS Pro­fes­sion­al Devel­op­ment Sys­tem by log­ging into your indi­vid­ual RISE account.

CDA Training and Level 2

Inter­est­ed in advanc­ing to Lev­el 2 by receiv­ing your CDA cre­den­tial? We offer CDA train­ing in each of the four CDA settings:

  • Preschool Cen­ter-Based
  • Infant/Toddler Cen­ter-Based
  • Fam­i­ly Child Care

Our CDA train­ing cov­ers the 120 hours that you need to receive your CDA. Vis­it our CDA train­ing page to learn more! You can also learn more from one of our help­ful CDA blogs!

If there is a spe­cif­ic require­ment you’re try­ing to ful­fill, call us and we’ll be hap­py help you deter­mine how Care Cours­es can meet it.

How you can get free childcare training in Idaho?

If you work 15 or more hours a week direct­ly with par­ents, chil­dren or staff, you may be able to use Ida­hoSTARS train­ing schol­ar­ships to cov­er your Care Cours­es tuition costs. To apply for an Ida­hoSTARS schol­ar­ship, login to your RISE account, join PDS, and click the “Schol­ar­ships and Awards” but­ton on your dash­board. From here you will learn how you can get Care Cours­es train­ing for free!

Idaho Core Knowledge Components

Upon suc­cess­ful com­ple­tion of your course, upload your cer­tifi­cate of com­ple­tion to your RISE account and receive reg­istry cred­it. Your cer­tifi­cate includes the hours you receive under Ida­ho Core Knowl­edge Components. 

We offer cours­es that cov­er Child Growth and Devel­op­ment, Envi­ron­ment, Cur­ricu­lum, and Prac­tice, Char­ac­ter Build­ing and Devel­op­ment, Rela­tion­ships with Fam­i­lies, Observ­ing, Record­ing, and Assess­ing Child Out­comes, Pro­gram Oper­a­tion and Admin­is­tra­tion, Professionalism/Leadership, Health, Safe­ty, and Nutri­tion, and Spe­cial Needs.

Care Courses Support

Please let us know how we can be of addi­tion­al assis­tance! Call us at 1–800-685‑7610, Mon­day- Fri­day, 9–5 ET, or email us days, evenings and week­ends: We’re here to help!

Michigan Child Care Training

If you’ve come across this blog it’s prob­a­bly because you are search­ing for pro­fes­sion­al devel­op­ment cours­es that sat­is­fy Michi­gan child­care train­ing and fos­ter par­ent train­ing requirements.

At Care Cours­es we offer dis­tance learn­ing course that can be done ful­ly online or in a hybrid online and book format.

Michigan DHS and CDA Child Care Training

So… What can Care Cours­es do for a child care provider in Michigan? 

The Michi­gan Depart­ment of Human Ser­vices accepts all Care Cours­es toward their year­ly train­ing, pro­fes­sion­al devel­op­ment require­ments. Which means that in Michi­gan you can use Care Cours­es for your 16 hours of annu­al DHS child care train­ing if you’re in a child­care cen­ter, fam­i­ly child care, or group child care. 

Look­ing to get a CDA cre­den­tial? The Coun­cil for Pro­fes­sion­al recog­ni­tion accepts Care Cours­es for the train­ing require­ment for the CDA nation­al cre­den­tial­ing process. Use our cours­es to get train­ing for a CDA cre­den­tial and to renew a CDA.

Prevention and Control of Infectious Disease Training

Addi­tion­al­ly, we offer train­ing on pre­ven­tion and con­trol of infec­tious dis­ease train­ing, includ­ing immu­niza­tions, take either Man­ag­ing Health and Safe­ty in Child Care or San­i­ta­tion for Dis­ease Pre­ven­tion in Ear­ly Child­hood Pro­grams.

Michigan Shaken Baby Syndrome Training

If you are a pro­gram direc­tor, care­giv­er in a child­care cen­ter, or an assis­tant care­giv­er in either a child care or a group home and need a course on safe sleep and shak­en baby syn­drome, check out our 3‑clock-hour course, Keep­ing Infants Safe.

Lead Caregiver Qualification Training and Lead Caregiver for Infants and Toddlers

We also have course bun­dles for Lead Care­giv­er Qual­i­fi­ca­tion Train­ing, and Lead Care­giv­er for Infants and Tod­dlers Train­ing.

Michigan Registry (MiRegistry) Training

The Michi­gan Reg­istry (MiReg­istry) has approved all Care Cours­es toward Great Start to Qual­i­ty. All of our cours­es may be used towards STARS orga­ni­za­tion rating. 

Do you need MiReg­istry child care train­ing cred­it? Please ensure that your Michi­gan Reg­istry ID num­ber is entered in your Care Cours­es account. Once you have added it, please email us at so that we can report your train­ing. Your train­ing will be report­ed auto­mat­i­cal­ly after we have your reg­istry ID. 

Michigan Foster Parent Training

If you are a fos­ter par­ent in Michi­gan you may use our cours­es for your six hour annu­al train­ing require­ment. Speak with your agency licen­sor to have the topic/title approved.

If are not yet a licensed child care provider in Michi­gan, but want to become one, we rec­om­mend that you speak with a state licen­sor before pur­chas­ing any training. 

Con­tact licensing:

Michi­gan Depart­ment of Licens­ing and Reg­u­la­to­ry Affairs 
Child Care Licens­ing Divi­sion
Phone: (866)-685‑0006 

Care Courses Support

Please let us know how we can be of addi­tion­al assis­tance! Call us: 1–800-685‑7610, Mon­day through Fri­day, 9–5 ET, or email us days, evenings and week­ends: We’re here to help!

Where can I get Texas childcare training?

Texas Childcare Training

We’re proud to call thou­sands of child­care providers in the Lone Star State our stu­dents here at Care Cours­es. Our train­ing school was found­ed in Austin in 1990, and we still design cours­es specif­i­cal­ly for Texas child­care train­ing requirements! 

So whether you’re already using our cours­es for your train­ing needs or a new­com­er to us, take a minute to see every­thing Care Cours­es has to offer ear­ly child­hood edu­ca­tors in Texas.

For Childcare Providers

Use Care Cours­es toward both your annu­al train­ing and oth­er Texas require­ments. The Texas Depart­ment of Fam­i­ly and Pro­tec­tive Ser­vices (TDFPS) accepts all Care Cours­es in accor­dance with their con­tin­u­ing edu­ca­tion require­ment for all child­care providers.

When it comes to annu­al train­ing, keep in mind that you can use Care Cours­es for some (but not all) of your annu­al hours. Because Texas does not allow more than 80% of the required annu­al train­ing hours to come from self-instruc­tion­al train­ing, child­care cen­ter care­givers can use Care Cours­es for up to 19 hours annu­al­ly and child­care cen­ter direc­tors for up to 24 hours annu­al­ly. In addi­tion, clock hours may not be car­ried over to the next year.

Now, here are a few Texas child­care train­ing require­ments you can meet using Care Courses.

  • SIDs, Shak­en Baby and Ear­ly Brain Devel­op­ment require­ments can be tak­en care of by our 3‑hour course Keep­ing Infants Safe.
  • Our 2‑hour course Trans­porta­tion Safe­ty can be used for the trans­porta­tion safe­ty require­ment for all providers who trans­port chil­dren under the age of nine.

For folks who are just com­ing into the ear­ly edu­ca­tion field, Care Cours­es can be used for the 24-hour Texas Pre-ser­vice train­ing require­ment. We offer a four-course train­ing bun­dle to cov­er this pre­ser­vice require­ment. One of the cours­es, Great Begin­nings, must be com­plet­ed before you can begin work­ing. The oth­er three cours­es in the bun­dle, Block PlayMusic and Move­ment, and Prin­ci­ples of Child Devel­op­ment and Learn­ing can be fin­ished with­in the first 90 days of work.

TECPDS Registry Training

All Care Cours­es are approved by the Texas Ear­ly Child­hood Pro­fes­sion­al Devel­op­ment Sys­tem (TECPDS) reg­istry. Our train­er’s Texas work­force reg­istry num­ber is 94618.

CDA Credential Training

Use Care Cours­es to obtain a CDA or renew a CDA! Care Cours­es CDA train­ing is avail­able for three CDA settings:

Read our blog, “How Do I get a CDA?” to learn more about the CDA credential!

For Center Directors

Stu­dents who will be a direc­tor of a cen­ter with 13 or more chil­dren can use Care Cours­es to obtain the child devel­op­ment train­ing need­ed toward a child­care cen­ter director’s certificate. 

As long as you have at least three years of expe­ri­ence in a licensed child care cen­ter, Care Cours­es will take care of your child devel­op­ment train­ing require­ment. Just choose our child devel­op­ment train­ing bun­dle, which cov­er 150 hours of child devel­op­ment training.

For Teachers of School-Age Children

Care Cours­es can also be used for Con­tin­u­ing Pro­fes­sion­al Edu­ca­tion (CPEs) for the Texas Edu­ca­tion Agency. This means that if you’re a class­room teacher, you can use this towards the 150 hours that you need for renew­al or the 200 hours of renew­al need­ed for edu­ca­tors who hold a pro­fes­sion­al cer­tifi­cate. Click here to get your CPE hours to meet renew­al require­ment for class­room teach­ers and edu­ca­tors who hold pro­fes­sion­al certificate(s)!

On top of this, you can use Care Cours­es to com­plete the 120 hours of for­mal child care train­ing need­ed to obtain your CDA cre­den­tial! Read our blog, “The 5 Rea­sons You Should Get a CDA”, and take a look at our Texas CDA page to learn how a CDA can help you specif­i­cal­ly in Texas.

So as you can see, Care Cours­es doesn’t mess around when it comes to Texas!

Care Courses Support

Please let us know how we can be of addi­tion­al assis­tance! Call us: 1–800-685‑7610, Mon­day through Fri­day, 9–5 ET, or email us days, evenings and week­ends: We’re here to help!

%d bloggers like this: